The popularity of plastic surgery is a worldwide phenomenon, and while the United States remains a major market for cosmetic procedures, there are five countries in which plastic surgery is even more popular. According to statistics released by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, South Korea is the top country in terms of the proportion of the population that uses plastic surgery. Each of the countries in the top 7 reflects different national tastes and preferences.
1. South Korea. According to the survey, about one in five women from Seoul has undergone some form of plastic surgery. The most popular plastic procedures are liposuction, rhinoplasty, and Asian eyelid surgery.
2. Greece. Breast augmentation is extremely popular in this Mediterranean nation. The survey also revealed a curious fact: the country had 592 penis enlargement procedures performed in 2010, which is ten times higher than average.
3. Italy. Botox and liposuction are the top priorities for cosmetically inclined Italians.
4. Brazil. Liposuction and breast implants are the most popular surgeries in Brazil, where plastic surgery is considered perfectly normal. According to Malcolm Z. Roth, president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, “culturally speaking, Brazilians have no problem with plastic surgery. If anything, it’s seen as a status symbol to have had it.” One of the benefits of this cultural acceptance is that Brazilians enjoy tax deductions to support elective plastic surgery.
5. Colombia. Liposuction is by far the most popular plastic surgery in Colombia.
6. United States. Demand for plastic surgery continues to rise as the American economy slowly recovers. Liposuction is the most popular surgery, while breast augmentation comes in a close second. Botox towers above all other procedures in the non-surgical category.
7. Taiwan. Wrinkle-reducing treatments such as Botox are the most popular cosmetic procedures among Taiwanese.
(Image source: NASA, Wikimedia Commons)