Botox continues to grow in popularity and its manufacturer is eager to answer common questions about the injectable treatment.
Like many women who have begun to experience the early signs of aging, like glabellar lines between the brows, actress Courtney Thorne-Smith, is an avid user of Botox and is eager to share her experience with the product and help answer common Botox questions.
Since her doctor began treating her with Botox nearly 10 years ago, Thorne-Smith says she is completely satisfied with the results. She says she wants women to know there are resources available to help them learn about how Botox may treat their own wrinkles and lines.
Allergan surveyed a range of women from age 35 to 65 and found out that the number of women considering talking to their doctor about Botox has quadrupled since 2002. Nearly 80% of women see Botox as an effective means of treating glabellar lines, a treatment Thorne-Smith says she has undergone with great success.
Even with this new knowledge women have about the injectable treatment, some Botox questions still remain. According to the survey, women most often wanted to know:
- Are these products safe? Each aesthetic injectable treatment has a unique safety and efficacy profile and treatments are not interchangeable. For every injectable treatment, including BOTOX® Cosmetic, it’s important to review the Important Safety Information and Medication Guide with your physician as serious side effects can occur. The most common side effects include pain or temporary bruising at the injection site, temporary tiredness, headache and nausea.
- How much do these treatments cost? Cost varies across the country based on a number of factors. According to an American Society of Plastic Surgeons survey, the average cost of BOTOX® Cosmetic is approximately $400 for treatment of the glabellar lines between the brows.
- Will my face still have expression? Injectable treatments such as BOTOX® Cosmetic should not radically change one’s appearance. When BOTOX® Cosmetic is administered by an experienced physician, a person can still frown and look surprised without those moderate to severe lines – also known as the “11” – between the brows.
- How long does treatment last? Minimally invasive treatments are temporary. BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment effects can last up to four months.
- Is treatment painful? Discomfort associated with the injection is usually minimal and brief, and your physician may apply an ice pack or anesthetic cream.